Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Anne Murray Get Your Gun

Writing words for songs is different than writing blogs. For me it is.

Song words have to sound good. You can't just sing anything. Looking for them is like staring into a blanket of snow.

The adjustment for singability can cause my lyrics to be a bit confusing if you're looking for a literal meaning in them. I start off with a sound message, however. (Such as 'Explore Ignominy.')

And then, because the good sounding words are fewer, they've already been used up, it seems. That's when I'm counting on my melody to make up the difference. A good melody let's you go on an imaginary flight.

I do hear fragments of words in my head when I search for song words. I might hear the first word in the line: 'Because duh-duh-duh-duh...And duh-duh-duh-duh.' Just have to fill in the duh-duhs.

That's what I'm trying to do at the moment for a lyric that starts with 'Beneath da-na-na-na da-na-na-na.' Any ideas?

(No. See, it's too hard to sustain a short 'u' vowel sound. What's that? I'm sorry, you'll just have to wait in line behind that bullet-)


More Scripts Songs Statements

© 2010. Scripts by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: