Sunday, May 30, 2010

Aristotle: Putting Shame to Shame

Anyone who says being atheist makes you immoral hasn't read Aristotle.

There's a cute line in Fahrenheit 451 where Montag's superior was rounding up books for burning, and when he got to The Ethics of Aristotle, he said, 'Who wouldn't read that and not think rather highly of themselves afterwards?' (Something like that.)

But Aristotle got me to realize a whole bunch of flaws about myself that the church never bothered about, not the least of which was my smoking. Aristotle makes me see myself in error with smoking because, as an addiction, it is an excess: a vice. Even good things, like smokes, become bad things when they are in excess.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: