Thursday, May 27, 2010

Remembered Forgettables #2: Jewish In Toronto

I remember the time I masqueraded as a Jew in Toronto. First this old man I met in the Eaton Centre asked me if I was Jewish, and I said no. Then he said, 'What's your name?' And I said, 'David.' And his old face just lit up. And he offered me a job in his silkscreen shop.

Then I went to my door-to-door encyclopedia sales course and one of the other students again asked me if I was Jewish. So I said yes. I wanted to try it out, I guess.

He was very kind to me. I met his family and he almost got me a job in the drug store. It's just as well since I wasn't really Jewish. I didn't deserve to be working behind a sales counter.

I can understand why these people excel in comedy. My friend took me to this Jewish tailor. He made me put on a green velvet coat from 1895 with a white carnation and look at myself in the mirror.

This was back in the 1980's. I lost touch with my Jewish friend somehow. I don't think he would have cared any more whether I was Jewish or not by the end.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2007, 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: