Sunday, May 30, 2010

Remembered Forgettables #4: High School Horizontal

For some reason we taller, slimmer types can't rise too quickly from a sedentary position or the blood will drain from our heads, causing a momentary loss of vision and strength. I've experienced this sensation many times and believe it may simulate the feeling of life's loss. My physician says it's normal. Calls it postural hypertension.

One time in High School, I got up from my desk and made off for the hallway too fast and feinted. Most present could probably hear my skull going thump! against the marble. When I came to, I was all right, but there were so many people around me that I was sort of pressured into playing the part of a victim. And I did, in fact, hurt my back a bit when I fell. My skull was unaffected.

A month later I was trying to chat up this girl and the first words from her mouth were, 'Aren't you the boy that swallowed his tongue?' She didn't hold it against me, however.

(The only other time I ever hit my head that hard was at a wedding party, while attempting to dance like a Cossack. My shoe sole failed to slide along the floor, and I was propelled backwards where my head made side contact with a mirror mounted on marble. The mirror cracked but my skull was unscathed. Fortunately, it was well over seven years ago.)

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2007, 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments: